Tooth Extraction is a minor surgical procedure. Therefore, it is natural that temporary changes will occur in the mouth afterwards. You’ll be functioning normally in just a few days. In the meantime, you should follow a few simple rules to help promote healing, prevent complications, and make yourself more comfortable.
1. Retain the cotton gauze placed by your dentist and bite firmly on it for 30-40 minutes. If bleeding continues, keep new wet gauze and apply firm pressure for an additional few minutes, till bleeding stops continuo the procedure.
2. After removal of gauze take something cold like ice cream milk shake fruit juice etc.
3. Avoid using a straw.
4. Avoid spitting and do not rinse your mouth for first 24 hours
5. After 24 hours gently rinse your mouth with warm salt water three times a day. Also, rinse gently after every meals.
6. Drink lots of water.
7. Eat only soft, cold, non spicy nutritious foods on the day of extractions.
8. Avoid smoking and alcoholic beverages for next 24 hours.
9. Do not brush the teeth next to the tooth socket for 24 hours.
10. In case, if stitches are placed get it removed after 7 days.
11. Take all prescriptions as directed ( Pain Medication, Antibiotics )
12. Do not bite your lips, cheeks, or scrape your gums till the numbness go. Children should be watched carefully to make sure they don’t do this. It will damage soft tissues and result in pain.
13. If you continue to experience post-extraction discomfort that is not alleviated by the above medications, have heavy bleeding, be in severe pain or have swelling for 2-3 days please contact our office.
Please take all prescriptions as directed for discomfort. Feel free to contact us if any doubt arises as your progress and recovery.