Crowns and Bridges usually take two or three appointments to complete because your Crown is being made by one of the top Dental Laboratories in the area specially to fit your tooth / teeth and bite. In the first visit the teeth are prepared and molds of the mouth are taken. Temporary crowns or bridges are placed to protect the teeth, if required while the custom restoration is being made. Since the teeth will be anesthetized, the tongue, lips and roof of the mouth may be numb. Please refrain from eating and drinking hot beverages until the numbness is completely worn off.
CROWNS and Bridges
1. It is normal to experience some temperature and pressure sensitivity after each appointment. The sensitivity should subside a few weeks after the placement of the final restoration. Mild pain medications may also be used as directed by our office.
2. If your crown is temporarily cemented then avoid eating sticky foods, gum and hard foods. It is important to brush normally. Please do not floss around your temporary fixed crown. This may dislodge the crown.
3. After the final cementation of your restoration, it may take a few days to get used to the new crown or bridge. Sensitivity to hot and cold is possible for a few weeks and occasionally lasts for several months. As with the temporary, If your bite feels uneven, if you have persistent discomfort, or if you have any other questions or concerns, please call our office.
4. Your tooth/teeth will likely be sore for few days due to being worked on and your gums will be very tender for several days. 5. Do not chew hard or sticky foods on the restoration for 24 hours from the time they were cemented. The cement must set up during this time to have optimum strength.
6. Crown/bridge can last for a long time with proper care. However like any man made material, it will wear out with time and need replacement.
7. Proper brushing, flossing, and regular 6-month (minimal) cleanings are required to help you retain your final restoration.
Please take all prescriptions as directed for discomfort. Feel free to contact us if any doubt arises as your progress and recovery.